Monday, June 11, 2012

40km Time Trial...just kill me, maybe.

"Hey, I don't race time trials 
So this feels crazy
I want to draft now
So kill me, maybe"

On Saturday morning, I traveled to Dauphin, PA for the State Time Trial to take a stab at this 40km race thing. First off, hats off to all you TT-ers. Granted you people wear goofy outfits and helmets, time trialing is tough business. Sprinting is temporary pain. Time trialing is the kind of pain that travels home with you, invites itself over and doesn't leave for three days. Just rude, really.

I knew after last weekend that I was in for a whole lot of hurt because this is not what I train for. My one workout of 2x20s this week put me in a full blown panic mode before I even started it because just thinking about me out there by myself for over an hour seemed like more than I could handle. I trained all week for getting out of my head and into a groove...with some tunes.

Some of my fav TT tunes:
Q-tip- Manwomanboogie 
The Pharcyde-Runnin'(Philippians Remix)  
Craig Mack- Flava In Ya Ear
Pete Rock & CL Smooth- They Reminisce Over You
Kiss/Ace Frehley- New York Groove

Songs you dont want in your head for a 40km:
Carly Rae Jepsen- Call Me, Maybe (sorry, Jimmy and Julia)

However, Julia is more than welcome to sing "Call Me, Maybe" while rocking this in her nose...and she did.

Clearly someone didn't brush their hair and rolled out of bed at 4:45am

My TT muse, Alaina Gurski gave us these cotton balls with eucalyptus oil on them and told us to warm up with them in our nose. Side note: she could have dipped them in gasoline and told me to do this and I would have if it would make me go faster.

There is nothing epic to report about me and my awesome borrowed bike (big huge thanks, Adam Nordmeyer). Oh, other than I was over two minutes faster this year, it was a MUCH HILLIER course and I landed in my favorite spot of third place, again.


Third. Again.

Stats to report:
Average RPMS: 102 (who does that?)
Average Speed: 22.8
2011 40KM time: 1:07:28.43
2012 40KM time: 1:05:21

Thanks to everyone on my team that volunteered that day, Gurski/Hoover for making this happen for all of us and Beth Fayant for putting her own training/racing schedule on hold to work this event...and cheer me on at the turn around :p

 YAY! I can go back to crit racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment